IT-based Central Control™ broadcast automation system that includes the best performing components, resulting from a thorough testing and certification process. There are many advantages around the IT-based turnkey approach, including enterprise-class servers offering, reduced cost of ownership, worldwide technical support presence from top computer equipment manufacturers. The key to build an enterprise-class turnkey solution relies on the proper selection of the components that constitute HDCore. Bitcentral’s offering is not based on a static product line, but on the best enterprise-class servers available on the market, at any given point in time.
For more than a decade, the term “videoserver” has been commonly related to overpriced broadcast manufacturer’s server offerings. In most cases these correspond to hardware platforms that include legacy components and provide a mid-level performance. Nowadays, it is clear that the industry is moving away from that model and adopting the IT-based servers approach, relying more on IT corporations’ offerings, and less on broadcast manufacturers which can hardly compete with the first. More than a decade ago, Bitcentral adopted the IT based model and continues to do so nowadays.
The enterprise-class servers used for integrating Playout and Ingest modules offer the necessary system reliability without compromising its performance. These are the main specifications:
- 2U, 4U and 5U rack-mountable servers configured with redundant power supplies.
- Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 and 5600 series:
- Quad-core and Six-core Intel® Xeon® configurations.
- 8GB, 16GB and 24GB DDR3 memory configurations, depending on the number of output channels per server.
- Up to 12TB of maximum internal storage, holding more than 200 Hrs. of audiovisual media @100 Mbps.
- Hot-plug Hard Drive Options: SAS (15K, 10K), nearline SAS (7.2K), SATA (7.2K). Hard drive type depends on the number of output channels per server.
- Optional add in HBAs: Qlogic® QLE2562 FC8 Single or Dual-channel HBA, PCI-E Gen 2 x4. HBA type depends on the number of output channels per server.
- Network Controller: Dual port Gigabit Ethernet NIC with failover and load balancing. Optional 1GBe and 10GBe add-in NICs
Each server can be configured with up to three PCI Express x16 graphic cards, depending on the number of output channels per server.
- Up to 880MHz Engine Clock
- 2GB GDDR5 Memory
- 1375MHz Memory Clock (5.5 Gbps GDDR5)
- 176 GB/s memory bandwidth (maximum)
SAN and DAS Disk Arrays
High performance Disk Arrays (Aurora): Purpose-built, feature-rich RAID that can be used as a direct attached system or as a SAN appliance. Its performance and unique adaptable design integrates proprietary RAID 6 engine technology (EOS™) with the latest industry-standard hardware components. This design allows this video disk array to “leap-frog” other manufacturers’ hardware ASIC-based RAID controller roadmaps. The resulting solution is affordable cross-platform storage that delivers reliable and sustained high bandwidth performance.
- Throughput performance: 2300+ MB/s
- Chassis: Rack mountable, compact 4RU steel and aluminum alloy 24 Bay enclosure with dual hot swap power supplies and cooling modules
- Raw capacity per enclosure: 72TB
- RAM: Up to 24GB
- Host I/O interfaces: Eight 8Gbit Fibre Channel or two 40Gbit InfiniBand host connection
- RAID protection: RAID levels 0, 1, 6 or 10
Standard Disk Arrays (Galaxy HDX4 24 Bay): Available with either 8Gb/s FC or 6Gb/s SAS host connectivity as well as an integrated 6Gb/s SAS drive backplane. The base enclosure accommodates twenty four SAS or SATA drives, single or dual-controllers as well as JBOD expansion options.
- Chassis: Rack mountable, compact 4RU steel and aluminum alloy enclosure with folding front handles, dual hot swap power supplies and cooling modules
- Controllers: Hot swap dual HA controllers with 2GB of RAM [ upgradeable to 4GB ], hot swap Flash / RAM backup battery, supports 104 drives with up to 6 add-on SAS JBODs
- Drive Support: 3.5-inch 15,000 RPM 6Gb/s SAS drives 300, 450 or 600GB, 3.5-inch 7,200 RPM 3Gb/s SATA drives 1 or 2TB
- Host I/O interfaces per controller: Four 8Gb/s Fibre Channel ports
- RAID protection: RAID 0, 1 (0+1), 3, 5, 6, 10, 30, 50, 60
NAS Disk Arrays
Standard Disk Arrays (Galaxy LX5 24 Bay): A scalable, feature rich NAS in an all-in-one storage system, with standard capacities up to 120TB. It scales above the typical 16TB limits of other NAS systems and offers RAID 6 data protection with a simple to use administration GUI.
- Chassis: 5RU Steel and Aluminum Alloy enclosure with rack mount kit. Dual FRU power supplies and fan assemblies, and 3Gbit Drive Backplane
- Drive Support: 24 3.5” x 1” SATA 3Gbit/s hard drives in field replaceable canisters Staggered physical drive spin-up, Drive LED support
- External I/O Ports: Two (2) GbE host ports, keyboard, mouse for BIOS CLI, SAS expansion on RAID card allows JBOD add-on capacities up to 120TB
- RAID protection: RAID 0,1,3,5,6 RAID 6 default Physical Drive Error Recovery, Replacement drive rebuild and monitoring, SMART, Error recovery mechanisms
- OS: Embedded flash-based Linux
SAN configurations include the Tiger Technology’s metaSAN, which is a high-speed file sharing Storage Area Network (SAN) management software that sets new standards for cross-platform workgroup collaboration. MetaSAN enables multiple users to share access to common data files in workgroups where heavy bandwidth requirements are the norm.
Tiger Technology is a software developer of high performance storage area networking (SAN) management tools. The company’s cross-platform file sharing management software solutions set new standards for multiple users sharing and managing access to bandwidth intensive data consolidated on a centralized storage location.